[dropcap]S[/dropcap]ince 1899, Association House has played a significant and historic role as a community resource for Chicagoans in need. It is one of the oldest “settlement houses” in Chicago, originally designed to provide relief and guidance to new immigrants. Today, Association House is a vital resource to under-served, multicultural communities, providing collaborative programs in English and Spanish.
This year, over 46 percent of our families are living on less than $900 a month, and over 38 percent of adults reported not having employment. So to address its participants’ basic needs, Association House will be doing everything it can to deliver holiday cheer to the nearly 1,000 children the organization serves during this holiday season.
Anyone who would like to help out the cause to uplift a family’s spirit at this special time of the year is invited to participate in its Holiday Toy and Gift Card Drive. For many of our youths, the gifts given by Association House will be their only holiday gift. Your support will ensure the children and families have a cheerful holiday.
Please make sure your toy or gift card donations are brought to Association House, 1116 N. Kedzie Ave., by Dec. 4. The toy and gift card donations will then be given out during Association House’s child holiday parties that kick off the second week of December.
Association House promotes health and wellness, educational advancement and economic empowerment. With a staff of over 200 professionals, Association House impacts the lives of nearly 20,000 children, individuals and families each year in the neighborhoods of Humboldt Park, West Town, Logan Square, Avondale, Hermosa and beyond.
Association House understands the challenges in our community. Health care, family, education, employment—trying to find the time and guidance to address every part of life can seem impossible. Association House makes it possible, all in one place — a place where the staff speaks your language and helps you meet your goals by providing wrap-around services for social, educational and health programs. It offers our community a unique blend of services, and does it with a warm, family-like atmosphere.
Association House succeeds today because of its ability to develop programs and services that meet the changing immediate needs and long-term stressors in the community. Today, Association House is based out of the city’s Humboldt Park neighborhood, and is home to a quality community mental health center, a level 1 options high school, and a career center that focuses on training and education for job seekers.
Association House also works in the community to recruit and train foster parents, provide education and support for new and expectant mothers, and challenges rising obesity rates by providing health and nutrition education for youths, their parents and the greater West Side community. Association House positively impacts the quality of life of nearly 20,000 individuals each year. To learn more about the organization’s community impact, please visit www.associationhouse.org.
Gift Ideas for Children
• Dolls and action figures: Disney’s Frozen, Hello Kitty, Barbie, Minnie Mouse, and dolls that reflect diversity superheroes, Ninja Turtles, Anime/Dragonball Z
• General Toys: Kitchen sets, small collectible cars, remote-control cars, Lego sets, Disney-themed toys and sets
• Arts/literature: Crayola products, sketchpads, craft kits, brush/oil sets, coloring books, series books (Wimpy Kid, Judy Moody), adventure/fairytale books and comics
• Items for babies: large-motor toys, blocks, plush dolls, stacking toys, blankets Educational toys: Fisher Price, Leap Frog
Gift Ideas for Pre-Teens and Teenagers
• Music/electronics: audio sets (mP3 players), headphones, digital cameras
• Fashion: fragrance sets, costume jewelry, sport watches/timepieces
• Sports: skateboards, basketballs, footballs, soccer/volleyballs and gear
• Experiences: museum passes, sporting game tickets, movie passes
• Gift cards (Chicago locations): clothing stores (i.e. Gap, Forever 21), All goods (Target, Sports Authority), restaurants (i.e. California Pizza Kitchen, Subway, Starbucks, Dave & Busters), and Music (i.e. iTunes)