Crime Briefs: Man charged in fatal Humboldt Park shooting

Kortillious Gipson, 23, of the 1100 block of N. Kedvale Avenue. Courtesy CPD.
Kortillious Gipson, 23, of the 1100 block of N. Kedvale Avenue. Courtesy CPD.
[dropcap]A[/dropcap] West Humboldt Park man is being charged with first degree murder in a fatal shooting from 2014.

Police allege Kortillious Gipson, alias “Toaster,” chased and shot 36-year-old Sam Walker to death in the 4100 block of West Crystal Street on July 31 of last year around 9:25 a.m.

Walker was taken to Presence Saints Mary and Elizabeth Medical Center where he was pronounced dead on arrival. He had been shot multiple times in the head, buttocks and arm and the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office ruled the death a homicide.

Gipson, who has a tattoo of the Chicago skyline with the words “The sky is the limit” on his chest, and Walker, who was known to his friends as “Boolord,” knew each other from the neighborhood, said Cook County State’s Attorney Spokeswoman Tandra Simonton.

Prosecutors allege the two men were involved in an ongoing gang dispute over drug territory and the day of the shooting multiple witnesses allegedly saw Gipson, who was wearing a black hoodie at the time, chase Walker and a friend of his west on Division Street near Karlov Avenue.

The chase continued past an alley, where an off duty security guard almost slammed his vehicle into Gipson, said prosecutors. At that point Gipson stopped chasing Walker and his friend, turned his attention to the off duty guard in the vehicle that almost hit him and removed a gun from his waistband, officials allege. Taking a brief respite from the chase, Gipson reportedly pointed his gun at the guard before continuing his pursuit of the two men down Division Street.

The chase continued with Walker fleeing down Crystal Street while his friend fled down Keeler Street. Choosing to pursue Walker, Gipson was able to catch up with his victim, jump on a parked vehicle and fire the fatal shots while standing on the car, prosecutors allege.

Walker’s friend saw the shooting before he fled the area and was able to identify Gipson to authorities in a police line up on May 27, officials allege. In addition to witnesses on the street, the security guard and Walker’s friend, police also allege they have video surveillance footage of Gipson wearing a black hoodie while chasing his victim.

“The shooter gave a videotaped confession to CPD about the shooting to say he did it because the victim and his friend had been threatening his family for days before he shot and killed him,” said Simonton.

On July 25 of last year Walker’s son, who was also named Sam Walker, was shot and killed around 6 p.m. near the intersection of Lexington and California Avenue, officials said. Police say both the elder and younger Walker had gang ties.

Meanwhile Gipson, 23, of the 1100 block of North Kedvale Avenue appeared in bond court on Thursday afternoon where Juge Peggy Chiampas ordered him held without bond and set his next court date for June 17 at 26th and California.

Gipson was already serving three and a half years at the East Moline Correctional Center for an aggravated unlawful use of a weapon conviction from November of last year when he was charged with the murder of the elder Walker on Thursday, according to Illinois Department of Corrections records.

Cook County Court records also show Gipson was perviously convicted and sentenced to two years for possession of a controlled substance in 2012 and sentenced to four years for an aggravated unlawful use of a weapon conviction in 2010. In 2009 he also received probation for a possession of a controlled substance charge.

Facebook Comments

Recent Posts