[dropcap]P[/dropcap]olice have issued an alert to residents warning of recent thefts of U.S. Postal delivery vehicles in the Uptown, Lincoln Square, Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, Lower West Side and North Center neighborhoods.
Police say that suspects broke into these vehicles by punching or prying open the locks in order to steal packages and mail inside.
The thefts happened in the:
- 4700 block of North Hermitage Avenue on November 23 around 2:15 p.m.
- 2100 block of West Balmoral Avenue on November 19 around 2:00 p.m.
- 500 block of West Wisconsin Street on November 18 between 11:50 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.
- 2300 block of West Byron Street on November 18 between 1:15 p.m. and 1:45 p.m.
- 1900 block of South May Street on September 23 around 9:30 am.
- 1600 block of North Oakley Avenue on September 21 between 1:30 p.m. and 1:45 pm.
In the incident on the 1900 block of South May Street, the suspect is described as a Hispanic male, around five foot 10 inches tall, 200 pounds, wearing a blue baseball cap and a white shirt.
In the incident on North Oakley Street, one suspect is described as a Hispanic male, between 30 and 35 years-old, weighing 220 pounds; and the second suspect is described as a Hispanic male, between 20 and 30 years-old, five foot seven inches tall and 160 pounds.
In the West Byron Street incident, the offenders are described as a White male and a White female. The suspects may be driving a dark gray Honda CRV.
Police are asking residents to be aware of the crime pattern and alert friends and family of the thefts. Residents should pay special attention to any suspicious people loitering in the areas and call 911 with descriptions of the suspects, vehicle and license plates.
Anyone with information regarding these armed robberies should contact Area North detectives at 312-744-8263.