Weekly crime report: Sept. 11 to Sept. 18

Weekly crime report: Sept. 11 to Sept. 18

Comments 0

 

Citywide

A new report in the upcoming October issue of Bloomberg Markets magazine details the link between the narcotics trade in Chicago’s Little Village and the Sinaloa drug cartel in Mexico. In 2011 two Mexican men affiliated with the Sinaloa cartel were hauling a tractor-trailer full of $3 million in cash back to the northern mountains of Mexico. The money was payment for drugs sold on the streets of Chicago. When Cartel couriers Juan Gonzalez and David Zuniga stopped to fix a flat tire on Interstate 65 three members of Chicago’s Gangster Disciples ambushed them. The gang members had previously paid the $3 million for the drugs but decided that they wanted the money back. Gonzalez was able to flee the hijacking to alert police who then intercepted the stolen truck. After authorities arrested the gang members and recovered the money Gonzalez, who along with Zuniga weren’t charged because they cooperated with investigators, requested proof from police that authorities had confiscated the $3 million.

“He knew, without a receipt, they’d kill him or his family in Mexico,” said Jack Riley, head of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration for a five-state region that includes Illinois and Indiana.

This past February the Chicago Crime Commission designated Sinaloa cartel leader Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman the city’s public enemy No. 1, a designation given originally to Prohibition-era gangster Al Capone. According to the commission, before Guzman it “had yet to witness a criminal worthy of the same moniker.”

Authorities say they believe Guzman’s cartel uses Chicago as his drug trafficking hub for the Midwest. They accuse him of having allegedly trafficked 1,500 to 2,000 kilograms of cocaine through Chicago per month.

 

Humboldt Park

Sept. 13: A man believed to be in his 50s, was declared dead at John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital at 7:09 a.m. He was found in a gangway on the 1100 block of North Pulaski Road around 6:30 a.m. Police say they were investigating the incident as a homicide. Cook County medical said the man died from strangulation, however blunt trauma to the victim’s head in an assault was also a contributing factor.

Sept. 13: A 27-year-old man was critically wounded around 1:40 p.m. on 1100 block of North Keystone Avenue. Police say the victim was standing outside when a newer model Toyota or Hyundai pulled up, a passenger exited the vehicle and opened fire. The victim was shot in both arms, once in the face, three times in the abdomen and once in the buttocks and was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in critical condition. As of press time police said no one was in custody.

Sept. 15: A 20-year-old man was shot on the 600 block of North Kedzie Avenue around 7 p.m. Police say that the victim was in serious-to-critical condition after he suffered a gunshot wound to his chest. He was taken in serious-to-critical condition to Mount Sinai Hospital.

Sept. 15: At least six people were hospitalized as a result of injuries and or drug overdoses at the Riot Fest music festival in Humboldt Park, 1400 N. Sacramento Ave. The six injured had minor injuries and were in good condition, police said. They were taken to Saint Anthony Hospital, Saints Mary and Elizabeth Medical Center and Loretto Hospital. While Police at first said the injured might have overdosed on drugs they later could not specify the reasons for the ambulance transports. The three-day music festival included various punk rock artists inside Humboldt Park starting Sept. 13 through Sept. 15.

 

Logan Square

Sept. 15: Manuel Gonzalez, 29, of the 2600 block of North Sacramento Avenue allegedly shot and killed Miguel Delgado, 19. The shooting happened around 2:20 a.m. on the 1500 block of North Milwaukee Avenue. Gonzalez is charged with attempted first-degree murder charges after he shot at but missed two men who were with Delgado. Police say the two groups of men involved in the shooting are gang affiliated. At press time Gonzalez was being held on $1 million bond.

 

 

Belmont -Cragin

Sept. 16: a 19-year-old man was shot around 10:30 p.m. on the 5900 block of West Fullerton Avenue. Police say the victim was walking with a woman when a man armed with a gun began shooting at them. The victim suffered a gunshot wound to the leg and was taken to Our Lady of the Resurrection Medical Center. As of press time he was listed in good condition.

 

 

Comments

comments

FREE 45 minute consultation (1)